Monday, July 2, 2007

The REO Adventure

REO (real estate owned) homes, also known as foreclosures, are an adventure in home showings like no other. When I'm touring or previewing homes that are REO I never know what I'm going to find. Sometimes it's an absolutely beautiful home and other times, well, not so much.

This past week I have toured over 20 REO properties and while I will have to say that agents of these homes are really starting to clean them up, there are still 20% or so that are quite the adventure. When opening the door of an REO, I'm always a little hesitant as to what I will find, what smells I'll encounter and how quickly I will feel the need to take a shower afterward.

For instance, one such property had a dead bird at the back window and ants in the process of having a very nice dinner. Another home, had a pungent unknown smell that made it hard to breathe. While another, had piles and piles of garbage all over the home. I practically ran out of that one. And lastly, another had no windows, flooring or inside walls. While I laughingly joked to my client about finding the lock box, I noticed the sign said "By Appointment Only."

Since the Sacramento area's REO properties are predicted to quadruple by the end of 2007, my adventures will continue...never a dull day in real estate!

No comments: