Wednesday, July 18, 2007

If the Price is Too Good, it's a Short Sale

On a weekly, sometimes daily, basis, I will have a client forward me an email listing of a beautiful home with an incredible, way below market value price. I know immediately that it's a short sale. The short sale speech is one I've gotten quite good at, but it still takes a few times of explaining it or actually living it, for it to sink in.

A way below market price on a short sale home is likely not approved by the bank. It's deceptive marketing just to get buyers in the door and offers to the bank. I'm not saying all agents of short sales do this. Many agents actually do price them competitively within market value. I understand where an agent is coming from in pricing a home low and I truly feel sympathetic for the sellers who are in the predicament of a short sale, but it's still unfair to deceive the public.

If a client is brave enough to make an offer on a short sale, then I have to sound like Ms. doom and gloom explaining in realistic terms that they will not hear back from the bank for at least two months. I have clients who have personally experienced this wait and now believe me. One couple who put on offer on a short sale last December, got impatient and are now living in a home they bought in March, and have still not heard back from the bank.

However, I'm now hearing from agents who are doing short sales that supposedly banks are being more cooperative now that their books are getting inundated with foreclosures. I hope that's true. I have another offer on a short sale for a client. We have been waiting since May 15 for an answer. This client really, really wants this house, so we are holding tight. His is the only offer on the house and there is a true hardship for the sellers, so I'm hopeful.

If a client wants to pursue a short sale, I will do everything I can to get them in contract with the bank. But I will do it only after discussing all the necessary pitfalls and patience needed as well as the potential opportunity to get a great deal on a home and save a seller from foreclosure. I will always hope for the latter.

No comments: