Monday, July 16, 2007

The Excitement of That First Home

I love first-time home buyers. Yes, there is a lot of hand holding, but there is so much satisfaction in my job as a Realtor to help a client buy their first home. It is exciting and scary all at the same time.

I'm currently negotiating a home for a twenty-something newlywed couple who are first-time buyers. They are very stressed out, but also so excited. They were like two kids in a candy store when they realized they had found their first home. They were visualizing where their dining table and computer would go, checking the different angles on the TV while sitting on the couch, and playing with the stereo for its surround sound loudness. And I was getting excited right there with them. You can't help but smile.

I can remember so vividly -- even though it was 8 years ago -- when I bought my first home. The worry over the mortgage payment, the sleepless nights, the nausea, the stress, while at the same time being so excited about finally getting to own a home. To be able to paint walls, put up curtains, plant a garden . . . all without asking a landlord's permission. I'm in my third home now and it's still a thrill, but nothing matches that first home experience.

No comments: