Saturday, January 15, 2011

Say Goodbye to the Mini Mansions

Looks like home builders will start building smaller new homes in 2011, according to the National Association of Homebuilders. And it's about time. I always get a chuckle when I hear a first-time homebuying couple (no kids) say they need 3,000 plus square feet. Why so much space? Unless you are the Octomom with 14 kids, that is just a lot of space to clean and collect stuff.

Many of my friends and I (I'm 43) grew up in homes around 1,500 square feet and three plus/minus kids. I never felt while growing up that I needed more space. As much as my sisters annoyed me, it was nice having lots of people close together in the house. I always had my own room, so I could get away when needed.

Here's to going back to more manageable home sizes!

No comments: